Saturday, January 9, 2016

CARPET POWDERS MIGHT BE MAKING YOUR PET SICK


Do you have a dog with allergies? Do your pets break out in hives or scratch a lot? Do you use carpet powders? Many pets will react fairly violently to carpet powders and sprays. Remember that your pets are in close contact with the chemicals in these powders and their skin is in direct contact.

Ingredients for Febreze (most of which we can't pronounce) include:
Ingredient Purpose Purified Water- Processing Aid, Alcohol- Drying Aid, Cyclodextrin- Odor Eliminator: Derived from Corn Starch and eliminates malodors, Emulsifiers & Spreading Agent : Modified polydimethicone Diethylene glycol-  Helps Febreze spread easily and penetrate into your fabrics to target the source of odor. Hydrogenated Castor Oil- Helps keep Febreze Stable over time, Acrylic Copolymer Agglomerating Agent: Helps prevent allergens from re-entering the air, Polyacrylate- pH Neutralizers: Sodium Hydroxide- Used to maintain safe pH for your fabrics, Benzisothiazolinone Preservatives: Methyl and Chloromethyl isothiazolinone- Protects product from microbial contamination. Various Perfumes Fragrance: Leaves your fabric with a light fresh scent.

Interestingly, I had to go to the product website to find the ingredients, as they are not listed on the containers. (Is that legal?)

Just as many people cannot tolerate perfumes and fragrances, many pets have similar issues. Respiratory irritation can occur when you are sprinkling the powders, so put your pets outside when you use these. My recommendation is to NOT use these powders, as I have seen too many pets react to them. Professional steam cleaning of carpets is a preferred route to keep your carpets clean and odor-free.  

2 comments:

  1. I use this on my carpets, and have for years.. it doesn't bother my Jack Russell or my Pom. but of course I remove them from the room when I use it, and then I wait an hr or so before I let them back in the house..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are lucky your pet can tolerate this. But, like everything, it's an individual tolerance or allergy. I see many pets that react.

      Delete