Thursday, December 17, 2015

ANTIBIOTICS: CURE OR CURSE?


Anyone who knows me, knows I hate winter and cold weather. This year, our "winter" has consisted of 60-degree days, as it has been unseasonably warm. So why have I been wrapped in blankets and winter coats for the past three weeks? I've been experiencing fever, chills, lethargy, muscle aches...just not right. Last week I succumbed to the dreaded intestinal flu, which made for a fun couple of days (congee to the rescue). This week, my symptoms drove me back to my bed, even forcing me to cancel appointments half way through the day, which is unheard of. After 36 hours in bed, I realized I was suffering from a sinus infection (because my sinuses starting draining). Sigh...

So, now the choice: tough it out with herbs, tea, and rest to get through the ordeal naturally OR take antibiotics. The natural route is definitely my preferred choice, but that would leave me stuck in bed for a few more days, which absolutely does not jive with my 10-hour work days at the office. To top it off, Hue was nice enough to give me the gift of a weekend in New York City, seeing the Radio City Music Hall Christmas Show, and going to the Today Show live...THIS weekend.

Unfortunately, the antibiotic choice won. I needed to get back on my feet quickly and I knew the antibiotics would make that happen. Within 24 hours, I am almost human (at least able to stay upright for more than a few minutes and I am almost making coherent sentences). I am continuing to eat really healthy - no sugars, no starches, no alcohol; basically leafy greens, brightly colored veggies, and protein. I am continuing with all my prescribed homeopathic drops, vitamin D, probiotics, omega 3's, and iodine supplements. Because I normally suffer from yeast overgrowth, this course of antibiotics will require about 6 months of very strict diet to get me back on the right course. But I made a choice because I saw it as the best short term solution for now.

The same problems happen every time our pets are given antibiotics. It upsets the bowel flora (the good bacteria that live there), causes overgrowth of the bad bacteria, overgrowth of yeast, and leaky gut syndrome. For me, that all causes a fuzzy mind, swelling of my joints, and generalized fatigue. I can only imagine our animals suffer the same effects, but how would we know?

No comments:

Post a Comment