Sunday, February 14, 2016

PET FOOD IN THE CARIBBEAN

While traveling through the Caribbean this month, I can't help checking out the local veterinary clinics, rescue organizations, pet stores, and pet food. It would seem that care of island dogs and cats is not a priority, as most female dogs are un-spayed, thin, and have huge mammary glands. The males are thin and not neutered. Most dogs have pretty severe flea infestations and I'm pretty sure heartworms are rampant. Most islanders do not seem to understand the need for any sort of veterinary care and the dogs seem pretty content to lie in any shade that can be found, while scratching and chewing at their eternal parasite visitors. Of course, as an outsider, I want to see the animals treated differently, but my American values are not necessarily the right values in this part of the world.

It would seem that Nestle Purina has a huge hold on the economy in third world countries, as Purina pet foods are the only processed American foods we have seen. We did find one brand made in Barbados, but the ingredients are so awful, even Beneful seems to be an improvement (did I actually say that???).





So, as I gaze at the incredibly awful choices available here on St. Lucia, I wonder, what would I feed my dogs if I lived here? Luckily, this island is big and they actually have grocery stores. I gazed in the frozen meat section, and what to my wondering eyes should appear...organ meats and chicken backs and all kinds of great ingredients for dog food! Add some fresh vegetables and maybe even some grains (because protein is pretty expensive here), and I think I could manage to keep my dogs healthy without resorting to the horrible processed foods. The only good thing about these foods for island dogs is the fact that they do have added vitamins and minerals (but they are synthetic and of the lowest possible quality). However, I would bet that the island dogs that survive on scraps from the human tables still fare the best.





No comments:

Post a Comment