Monday, February 22, 2016

THE IMPORTANCE OF NOTHING


As many of you are aware, I have spent the last three weeks touring the Caribbean, with stays on Bequia, St. Lucia, and St. Kitts, as well as passing through Barbados, Antiqua, Nevis, and St. Vincent. My original purpose was to spend three weeks working on my next book about caring for your pets using natural therapies. However, once my feet hit the sandy beaches and my body started to detox from living life in hyper-speed, I realized how important it is to take time for myself. Anyone who knows me, knows that I work 7 days a week, 18 or more hours per day, and suffer from insomnia. My brain never stops. I worry, I ponder, I plan. It took five days before I could actually just SIT and watch the ocean.

One thing I have discovered on this trip is how important it is to do NOTHING once in a while. Chinese Medicine teaches the importance of BALANCE in our lives and I realize my life has been very out of balance. I've had to eat an incredibly restricted diet at home to counteract the emotional stress I deal with by working so much. Here in the islands, I have been able to eat and drink anything I want, with no side effects. That, alone, is enough proof that I need to find balance.

I am not ready to retire, but I do think I need to slow down...A LOT. Figuring out how to do that will be difficult, as I have so many irons in the fire and so many that depend on me (including my family, 9 spaniels, 4 cats, 6 horses, and a bunch of employees and patients). I love all the people that depend on me and I love serving them. But, I now realize that sometimes I need to be just a little bit selfish.

We used to own a home at the shore and once we hit the bridge to the island on Friday afternoon, I was able to sit on the beach and read trashy novels for 2 days without thinking so much about work. I don't want to own another home at the beach (kind of a nightmare really), but our little slice of heaven with spaniels in New Jersey can be that oasis. As long as I can remember the importance of nothing. And that sometimes, nothing is everything.

1 comment:

  1. I am finding this also! After taking care of my only sibling for 2 mos til she passed, in the best way possible, surrounded by those who loved her, I just cannot force myself the way I used to. Was tortured by this new behavior and my mind keeps insisting I'm slacking and getting behind. But my body and soul tell me to be still, show love and compassion, enjoy what time I have left. Take care.

    ReplyDelete